Loghan’s Story Part 7: There’s No Place Like Home

This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.

It’s day four in the castle and Loghan is in recovery mode! In this post I will talk about Loghan’s post-operation recovery and what the first few days at home were like. If you’ve fallen behind, you can catch up on Loghan’s story here.

Since surgery went so well, we were back in our room and surrounded by our parents. The first night was the easiest since she was so tired from the surgery and still fighting off the anesthesia. I don’t even think I opened but one eye as the nurses came to check on her that night. Some nice, uninterrupted sleep was much needed.

The next morning she was still pretty out of it, but on a plus note, she could breastfeed again. I had been pumping since we got to the hospital since they took Loghan off my breastmilk and on an IV to get her fluids. I was so excited to start feeding her again but it was also a challenge. Thankfully, the nurses from my breastfeeding support group were only a call away. If I didn’t tell you just how much these ladies impacted my life in an earlier post, take this as my word that they did. One of the lactation nurses came right over and helped me find some good positions for Loghan to feed in. It was hard, given the fact that half of her tummy had just been sliced open, but we eventually made it work. Once I had feeding figured out and Loghan was officially off oxygen, it was time to start thinking about the possibility of going home.

Day six, one of the coldest days of the year, they gave us the good news that we could go home! Excited and anxious all at the same time, we left the hospital and ventured back to our house. After five nights sleeping restlessly in the castle, I couldn’t wait for a hot shower and to sleep in my own bed, but before you leave they tell you a million things to try and remember and have you fill out some paperwork before sending you back to reality.

When you get home there are not any nurses coming to check on you or answer your questions. The only one there to make sure I’m doing things right and reassuring me that Loghan is okay is Paul. I probably don’t tell him enough, but he really is the rock for our family. He keeps the crazy, aka me, reigned in and puts itty bitty and I as priority #1. We are pretty lucky to have him as a hubby and daddy.

The first night was probably the hardest. It was harder than bringing her home for the first night after she was born. She was so tired and she would moan in her sleep and wake up. I could tell she was uncomfortable and in pain so staying on top of her Tylenol and Motrin were key. Those were the only things we could give her for pain since she was so little. What else made staying on top of her meds difficult was that she didn’t like them and would spit them up. To this day, she still hates meds and spits them up!

The next day I spent questioning EVERYTHING. Was it okay that she spit up? What if her temperature spiked? What if I couldn’t get her to eat or take her meds? I re-read her paperwork a million times and called the nurses at least two or three times just to make sure I was doing things right and that I wasn’t just over reacting about anything going on. The last thing I had to do to feel like we were back at home and in a routine was to give her a bath.

I don’t really know why I was so nervous about giving her a bath, but I was. I suppose it was probably because I just didn’t want her to be uncomfortable, but inevitably, I started the water and we got through it. There was surgical/skin glue over her incision, which made it easier to work with in the tub. As long as I didn’t let her soak in the tub it was okay.

Another squirrel moment! After Loghan’s surgery, the surgical team advised I could go back to a normal diet, however, the GI doctor said to stay off dairy. Confused, I called my NEW pediatrician and she advised to go with what the surgical team said. Although skeptical, I started eating a few things with dairy in them. Loghan started showing symptoms of being sensitive to dairy so back off it I went. I wasn’t mad that I was back off of dairy. What I was mad about was that, still, after everything I had been through, there seemed to be disconnect between the doctors and myself. This whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth for the healthcare system, which makes me sad. Now, I know that there are some amazing healthcare staff out there but I have had one too many bad experiences to date. It’s more about the processes and what not that they follow then the people themselves. I have a lot of respect for all of my nurse and doctor friends out there!

Back to the story! After the weekend, I decided it was time to go back to work. If you think it’s hard going back to work after maternity leave, try going back after your baby has surgery. It was NOT fun to say the least. I was so worried about her every minute I was there. The only thing that made it a little easier was that we have family as daycare. This helped tremendously and put my mind a little more at ease knowing we had people that loved her watching over her making sure she was taken care of. I can’t tell both of our families how much we appreciate them for everything they have done and continue to do for our family.

Just like riding a bike, I got used to being back at work. I still didn’t like it…I still don’t like it, but you do what you have to do for your family. After a couple more weeks, Loghan started to bounce back. She was finally getting back to her smiley and happy self and I couldn’t be more happy. She is the light of our lives and I don’t know what we would do without her!!!

Now that we are all getting back to a normal lifestyle you think Loghan’s story would be over, but it’s not. Loghan’s story continues as we wait for genetic test results, eye surgeries, hearing tests and an MRI. Our journey is just getting started. The next post in this series will talk about Loghan’s hearing tests and MRI.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s